Thursday, December 29, 2011

We-Robot

The other day I went to Sports Authority and Home Depot with three of my friends.  Boring, that is nothing to blog about.

The other day I went to Sports Authority and Home Depot with three of my friends - and bought matching outfits, 12 feet of duct piping, and lots of tin foil. Kind of interesting, but still not sure of this is Blog-Worthy.

 The other day I went to Sports Authority and Home Depot with three of my friends - and bought matching outfits, 12 feet of duct piping, and lots of tin foil - so that we can dress up as robots to compete in the 1st Annual Astoria Pub Golf Competition. Winning!!!

Hi.  I am 31 years old.  I have a 2-month old son. I have a wife.  I teach children.  And yes, I dressed up as a robot to chug beers yesterday in Astoria, Queens.  There were Pirates, Mexican Banditos, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at this drink fest - but as you would expect the Robots defeated the human race. It was an unfair advantage, we are half-man/half-machine - oh and we had a space ship (courtesy of Mike, Michelle, and CVS.)

I knew from the moment we went shopping together as a foursome that this trip would be blog-worthy, but I didn't know what I would talk about until the actual event happened.  I could give the play-by-play of the events that took place, or explain what pub golf is and how we did this same activity on my bachelor party, or I could talk about my friend Sean's co-workers who set this up and how even though we all met for the first time yesterday, there is a real bonding experience between people who are dressed in costumes when it is not Halloween and you are chugging beers.

Instead I want to talk about how nice the people of this world are to Robots.  You would think if 4 people dressed with tin-foil hats, metal piping on their arms and legs, carrying a big space ship (cardboard box) stepped on to the same subway car as you, then the people on the car would turn the other way in disgust... Eh, more drunken a**holes from Long Island... But that never happened - we had a father and son intrigued asking great questions:  

SON: If you have a spaceship, why are you taking the 7 train? FATHER: There going to be drinking so they can't drive the spaceship. -

I mean we are teaching great life lessons here - don't drink and drive - even if you are a robot!

We had women stopping us on the street to take pictures with us like we were celebrities.  People were smiling, pointing, laughing, having a good time.  A restaurant even let us construct our space ship inside since it was too windy for us to do it outside.  Another woman actually blogged about us asking who the people in the tin-foil hats were on 30th Ave. yesterday in Astoria because her daughter wants a hat.  Role Models!

What I concluded from this fun drinking expedition is that everyone, no matter age or life situation, no matter if you are a robot, a pirate, a bandito, or a ninja turtle - you should take one day a year to dress up, to visit a place you have never been before (even if its only 30 minutes away), to have a drink or two or nine, to meet new people, to talk to a stranger, and to find your own space ship and let it take you for a ride.

In the meantime, I will be waiting for the 2nd Annual Astoria Pub Golf Challenge - and it seems like I will have to finally watch the Lord of the Rings movies - as next year it's a LOTR themed event.

Thanks again for Listening to Lumpy

No comments:

Post a Comment