Tuesday, January 10, 2012

TOP 10 on 10 - TV SHOWS EDITION

So I decided on the 10th of each month I will make a TOP 10 list - Why? Because I love TOP 10 lists... For this first one I decided to go with my top 10 TV shows of all time.  I surprised myself (not really) that I only have 3 reality shows on this list, plus I have 2 shows on the list that I never watched when they were on (thanks for DVD's) and only 4 of the shows are still on TV today... I left off some of my new obsessions (Yes Revenge that means you) as well as some of my faves as a 10 year old (sorry Wonder Years, Alf, Perfect Strangers, and Price is Right)

Please let me know what other TOP 10 Lists you would like to see in the future... but for now here are my TOP 10 TV Shows of All-Time (or the last 15 years)

10. Entourage - Not counting this last season, which was horrible, this was a very cool show - any guy who has a group of guy friends wanted to believe that they could be in this crew and hug it out with Ari.  The finale made me not want to put this on my top 10 list - but it took the final spot.

9. Lost - I did not watch this show when it started - EVERYBODY watched this show, so I did not want to watch it - instead the wife and I zipped through all the seasons in about a couple of months, 5-6 episodes at a night, glued to the screen.  Was it the fact that this was the first TV show Carroll Anne really enjoyed that made me want to keep watching?  Was it Kate?  Was it the smoke monster?  I have no idea what it was, and I got no answers to any of the questions I wanted answered - but for some reason at the end of each episode, no matter how late it was at night, I needed to watch the next one.  The characters were so interesting that it did not matter how little of the show I understood, I was invested in the people, so I guess you can say I got LOST in the characters, and just went along for the ride.

8. Sopranos - I came for the pasta, I stayed for the sauce.  Tony reminded me of some of my uncles - Bada Bing!

7. Treasure Hunters - This show only lasted 3 months!  One season!  This could have been my favorite reality show of all time and that is saying something.  This was like Amazing Race (more on this show in a bit) but better - yes I said it better.  There were no clues, they would just drop you off in a giant room and you had to figure stuff out.  Hmmmm.... maybe after 8 hours of searching under, behind, and around every object in the room I will breathe on this small mirror - oh wow there's the clue - WHAT?  Yes, that is what it was like - so awesome.  The finale of this show was the coolest thing ever - I want this show back on the air - if you know people, do something.

6. Modern Family - This is my favorite show right now and has shown no signs of slowing down.  I go back and forth between Phil and Cam as my favorite character, but that is the only debate on this comedic winner.  This is the type of show where you can watch an episode over and over again and it is still funny.

5. Friday Night Lights - This is the other gem of a show that I did not watch when it was on, big props to my mom for hooking me up with the complete DVD set and it has paid off big time.  This show is so good that I only have one disc left to watch and I refuse to watch it because I don't want it to end. It reminds me of that year in 8th grade when I was on the B-Team offensive line, but in Texas, and better.

4. SYTYCD (So You Think You Can Dance) - Oh I went there - American Idol was my reality show/talent show top choice for years until I got into this one (another show my mom told me to watch.) They always say on the show when you take the right song, the right dancers, and the right choreographer and put it together, magic happens - well it does.  Usually its when Travis Wall is choreographing a Howie Day/Coldplay song - but it does happen - and I love it.  I love dancing! Or watching people dancing... wait I'm taping dancing, to watch again later (Brian Regan reference) - anyway this is the best of all the talent shows out there and I watch all of them so this makes my list.

3. Amazing Race - I have never missed an episode of this show, dating back to when I was in college, working on my own TV show there "Thursday Nite Live" - I would get home at like 4 in the morning and pop in the VHS that my parents recorded the show on for me (this was not that long ago) - Call it the traveler/dreamer in me -  but if I could be on any show, this would be it - you get to travel around the world in a competition, it is simply amazing.  My only fear of going on would be getting eliminated right away, that and maybe having to bungee jump.

2. Seinfeld - This was the first sitcom that I got into that really made me laugh, not always laugh out loud, but just one long continuous laugh that was more of a smile.  I really think that this show about nothing paved the way for all my other favorite shows about nothing (Parks and Rec/ The Office/ Modern Family) - I am a huge fan of witty dialogue, I don't need a big elaborate story or crazy music, or special effects - I just want 4 people sitting in an apartment or a diner shooting the sh*t - talking like people talk.  This show did that and more - the way this show would tie stories together was unbelievable, I mean is "anyone here a marine biologist?" - Classic.

1. The Office - The only reason why this gets my #1 over Seinfeld is because of Michael Scott and the fact that I have the first 3 season's DVD's to remind me of how great this show was up until this season.  This was just like Seinfeld, a show about nothing, but instead of in an apartment it took place in an apartment - only difference is I do not just long laugh and smile during this show - I laugh out loud, near tears, the funniest moment in any TV show I have ever seen took place on a Christmas episode when Meredith flashes Michael.  The look on his face and then he snaps a photo, I mean I probably watched that part 100 times, it is so funny.  If the show continues the way it's going, Seinfeld might move up to #1 - but then again I can just pop in the DVD and be reminded of the good ole days.

*** Hope you enjoyed the TOP 10 on 10 - I would love to hear your feedback on how great/awful my selections are - and let me know what I left out.

Thanks for Listening to Lumpy

3 comments:

  1. Phil Dunphy for president! Loved the post Joe... and i think EVERYONE i know watched LOST the same way you and CA did! it was like LOST-crack. Jon and I were up until 2am on work nights watching it circa 2004/2005 :)

    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're missing Prison Break!!! Also, 24! I think 24 should bump Entourage. Wouldn't you rather hug it out with Jack Bauer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect Strangers!!!!! Man I miss that show

    ReplyDelete